Tuesday, September 25, 2012

GYPSY - Demo - Tape - 2010

   I thought about just saying that the members of this band have also played in SHANG-A-LANGHIDDEN SPOTS and THE MARKED MEN and then just leave it at that. That's enough right? Well, yeah, probably....but I want to tell you something about their bass player, Joe and how he is an insanely nice guy.
   Once, I was driving across the country with my best friend, Anandi. We had driven all day and we were pretty wiped out. We got to Las Cruces and Joe said we could sleep at his house for the night. He invited us to go to his friend's birthday party across town, but we were way too tired to go. We said that he should just go and we can sleep in his living room. He opted to not go to the party and, instead, went and got a fancy 6 pack of beer for us to all share. We sat around his place and talked for a long time until we got too tired to keep our eyes open. It was a simple little thing, but he made us feel so at home and welcome in his place. Sometimes you can't ask for more than that when you're traveling. We appreciated it even more when we slid backwards into a ditch less than 48 hours later in a massive, freak snowstorm in the middle of Texas and then were stuck in a motel in a tiny town for the next 3 days. (Texas...no snowplows.)
   Their guitarist, Chris and drummer, Ryan are no slouches either. Chris has always set up shows in Las Cruces for any band I have been a part of. I met him years ago (early 2005, I think) when I saw his band THE ANSWER LIES play in a coffee shop in Cruces with TBIAPB. I've known Ryan since before the turn of the century. He used to be the manager of a skating rink and my band once got him in a lot of trouble when he let us practice in the rink after hours. I guess it turned out okay since he kept working there until they shut down years later. It was one of the better nights of my life.
   Anyway, if you like any of these guys' former bands, you will like this too. Jangly, melodic, upbeat and simply great. If you'd like to get a copy of this tape for yourself, please head over to Dead Broke and pick one up. As long as you're there, you might as well get the demo of Chris and Joe's new band, LOW CULTURE because it is equally as awesome.

No comments: