Thursday, February 21, 2013

OUR LADY OF NAPALM - Tape - 1999

   I don't know too much about the history of this SF band because I never saw them and I wasn't around during their short existence. This band teamed the punk upbringing of Ivy (drums....also in LOS CANADIANS, MIAMI and many more) with the stoner rock / metal stylings of Janis (guitar) and Erika (bass)(also in HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE and LOST GOAT respectively) and they made music that fell somewhere between those styles. They recorded these ten songs, which I think were intended for an LP, but it never saw the light of day...probably because everyone had so many other projects going on. I don't even know the song titles. Song #4 is a great Ivy-fronted song that ALLERGIC TO BULLSHIT (Ivy's later band) tried to work into their repertoire, but it didn't really pan out. There's also some great stoner-style jams, full-on rockers and a DEAD BOYS cover. Get into it.


This tape is from the shelves of Ivy Jeanne.

   Ivy went on to sing for ALLERGIC TO BULLSHIT, BLACK RAINBOW and MIAMI. Just like every other drummer who has ever lived in the Mission, she once played drums for SHOTWELL. Erica also played in LOST GOAT and AMBER ASYLUM. Janis has played in PAGAN BABIES (with Courtney Love and Kat from BABES IN TOYLAND), HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE, STONE FOX, L7 and in PINK's (yes, that PINK) backing band. She also has one million hilarious stories that I cannot repeat here. 

9 comments:

erick lyle said...

FINALLY!
Haven't been able to find my copy for years!
But what do you mean about that song not working out in A2B?
We played it live the whole time and it ruled.

erick lyle said...

Like everything else on this blog, this has Hickey connection, too: recorded by Matty Luv

Harvester said...

I think in my head, I meant "I never played drums the way I wanted it to sound and we didn't record it" But yes, it ruled and I loved playing that song.

Blair Menace said...

I need to hear this. Amber Asylum and Hammers of Misfortune are awesome.

Bug said...

Post the Black Rainbow stuff if you can please. My tape shredded, unrepairable.

Harvester said...

By request from the band Black Rainbow, that tape and the internet can not meet...at least by my hands.

Dk said...

This tape is awesome. Whenever I hear Ivy's voice, Janis Joplin or Mia Zapata comes to mind. No particularly in style but in that the aggression of her singing seems to come from down somewhere deep inside that connects on an emotional level with me. Powerful with a wow.

Anonymous said...

Same Erika that sang on "In The Beginning?"

Harvester said...

yes